Innovative Immigration Solutions Dedicated Counsel From Start To Finish

Adjustment of Status in Virginia

Transitioning to Permanent Resident Status

When a foreign national in the United States goes from being a temporary visa holder (non-immigrant) to being a permanent resident (immigrant), this is referred to as an adjustment of status. In order to complete this immigration status adjustment, the foreign national and his or her sponsor must fill out the appropriate forms and meet the required criteria for obtaining a green card. There are many foreign nationals who are able to get their immigration statuses adjusted without first having to return to their home countries.

Are you at risk of being deported because you were found to be in the U.S. illegally, because of a crime on your record or because of another reason? If so, you may still be able to obtain an adjustment of status by obtaining a form of removal/deportation relief option.

If you are seeking an adjustment of status, you can turn to our law firm for assistance. Our Virginia immigration lawyers at Fayad Law, P.C. are highly knowledgeable in U.S. immigration law, so you can depend on these legal professionals to guide you through each step of the adjustment of status process.

What qualifies me for an adjustment of status?

Individuals who apply for adjustment of status usually do so under one of the following categories:

  • Family immigration—applicable to spouses, fiancées and certain family members of U.S. citizens and permanent residents
  • Employment immigration—applicable to foreign nationals hired by U.S. employers, or to foreign investors who are providing capital for U.S. commercial enterprises
  • Special classes of immigrants—applicable to immigrants in special categories, such as widows of U.S. citizens, battered or abused spouses or children, physicians, religious workers, etc.
  • Humanitarian programs—applicable to immigrants who qualify for asylum status, refugee status or other humanitarian-based immigration benefits

In most of these cases, the foreign national must have a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or entity file a petition on his or her behalf. In addition to that petition, Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) must also be filed. These two forms can sometimes be filed at the same time. There are many cases in which adjustment of status can be used as a form of removal/deportation defense.

Virginia Immigration Attorneys Offering Guidance

Many individuals end up running into obstacles when it comes to adjusting their statuses, such as questions over their eligibility, problems involving criminal records or even just the complexity involved in filling out the paperwork properly. Our skilled immigration attorneys can use their legal knowledge and experience to help you address any issues you might be facing. Furthermore, if you qualify, we may be able to help file a waiver that will allow you to remain in the U.S. while your adjustment of status is being processed. Whether you are applying for adjustment of status for the first time or you are challenging an unfair denial of adjustment of status, we can assist you.

Contact Fayad Law, P.C. so we can offer you some initial guidance through a free consultation. We want to help you make your adjustment of status go as smoothly as possible!

Client Testimonials

  • “They assisted my company with an H1-B visa for a key employee.”


  • “We received our green card approvals today and we highly recommend Fayad Law for all your immigration needs”


  • “I would like to say "Thank You" to Mr. Fayad and your team for all the hard work, your expertise in immigration law is unsurpassed.”


  • “I will recommend Mr Fayad to everyone.”


  • “Great Law Firm!”


  • “He is one of the best immigration lawyers of Virginia.”


  • “I recommend Fayad Law, P.C. to anyone who needs professional immigration advice.”


  • “Great customer service”


  • “I will definitely recommend lawyer Nash Fayad for complex deportation cases.”


  • “I was really satisfied on how my case was handled and the outcome. Keep up the good work.”


  • “If you have an immigration case, I highly suggest that you retain Mr. Fayad.”


  • “Me & my wife had a very good experience with this firm.”

    Bbalila USA

  • “We’ve been using Fayad Law for years.”