L-1 Visa Lawyer

Fayad Law, P.C. helps specialized workers, managers, and executives come to the United States with L-1 visas.

L-1 Visas

Do you work at a company that also has offices in the United States? You might prefer to work in the United States, and you can do that with an L-1 visa. This nonimmigrant visa will allow you to relocate to the U.S. for a set period of time. If you are a manager or executive, you can receive an L-1A visa, while specialized workers are eligible for L-1B visas. 

A Richmond L-1 visa lawyer from Fayad Law, P.C. can help you with the entire process, from gathering the documentation to preparing the paperwork. The team at Fayad Law, P.C. has more than two decades of combined experience and can help you navigate the complex visa process. 

Eligibility Requirements for an L-1 Visa

You must meet the eligibility requirements to obtain an L-1 visa. The government only grants these visas to:

  • Employees who work for a foreign company with a qualifying relationship with a company in the United States
  • Employees who have worked for the foreign company for a minimum of one of the last three years

You also must meet the application requirements. A Richmond L-1 visa lawyer will complete the application on your behalf, ensuring that the proper documentation is included.

Why Choose Fayad Law, P.C.

  • Covers All Aspects of Immigration Law – We help clients with citizenship and naturalization, appeals and bonds, asylum, and other aspects of immigration law.

  • Multilingual – We are fluent in English, Arabic, French, Russian, and Spanish, allowing us to provide legal services to immigrants from around the world. 

  • More than 20 Years of Experience – Our experienced legal team understands the immigration system, and we use our legal experience and insight when representing our clients. Our first-hand experience as immigrants also helps our clients navigate the complex immigration system. 

  • Personal Attention – As a boutique law firm, we limit our caseload to ensure we can provide personal attention to each client that we serve. 

  • Ethical and Sound Legal Counsel – Nash Joseph Fayad has a reputation for providing ethical and sound legal counsel and was appointed to serve as Special Counsel to the Commonwealth of Virginia for all immigration matters. 

Tell Us About Your Case

Ask A Question, Tell Us What Happened or Request a Free Consultation

 or fill out the short form below.

L-1A and L-1B Visas

When you consult a Richmond L-1 visa lawyer, he or she will begin the process by determining the type of visa you need. L-1A visas are used for managers or executives who want to transfer to an affiliated company in the United States. Along with having the title, the manager or executive must demonstrate that he or she has the authority to make crucial decisions for the business. Without such authority, it will be challenging to get approved for an L-1 visa.

L-1B visas are for workers who have specialized knowledge. This knowledge must be geared toward the company’s processes, management, products, and other related areas. It also must be critical for the company’s success. Designers, programmers, accountants, and engineers are examples of employees often granted L-1B visas.


Companies often send numerous employees to the United States at once. Filling out individual applications for L-1 visas is time-consuming. Also, employees might get approved at various times, turning the transfer into a logistical nightmare. If you want to transfer multiple employees, you can apply for a blanket L visa. This visa will give your company pre-certification to transfer managers, executives, and employees with specialized knowledge. Applying for a blanket L visa expedites and streamlines the process. However, it can be complicated, so speak to a Richmond L-1 visa attorney first. Your attorney will evaluate your needs and handle the paperwork and documentation for you.

How Long Does An L-1 Visa Last?

Both L-1A and L-1B visas are initially granted for three years. If you have an L-1A visa, you can receive up to two extensions. Each one lasts for two years, so you can work in the United States for up to seven years. If you come to the U.S. under an L-1B visa, you can receive one extension, allowing you to stay in the country for five continuous years. Your Richmond L-1 visa attorney can help you with the initial application and the extension. Filling out the paperwork and providing the necessary documentation are necessary for approval, so hiring a lawyer is critical. 

Can You Bring Your Spouse And Children To The United States?

If you are granted an L-1 visa, your spouse and children under the age of 21 can travel and live in the United States with you. First, they must apply for and receive an L-2 visa. This visa will also allow them to work and attend school while in America. You can submit the L-2 visa application at the same time you apply for an L-1 visa. It can take up to a month to process the application, so a timely submission is necessary. Otherwise, your family might have to join you after you’ve already traveled to the United States. 

What Sets Fayad Law, P.C. Apart?

As a boutique law firm, we make sure that every single case we handle and client we represent receives our personal attention. We limit our caseload to ensure our clients feel truly supported at every moment, from start to finish. Your best interests will always be priority – and that is our driving priority. We know that any type of legal matter can be overwhelming. We approach every case with compassion and dedication from start to finish because we know how much may be at stake for you. We bring more than 20 years of combined legal experience to the table, which gives our clients the legal knowledge and insight needed to successfully navigate various legal processes.

Firsthand Experience
as Immigrants


English, Arabic, French,
Russian and Spanish


Proven Track
Record of Success

one to one

Personal, One-on-One


You Stay Informed
at All Times


We Strive for Client


There are dozens of different types of visas available under the provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), but they can all be placed in one of two categories: immigrant and nonimmigrant visas. The former is for individuals who are hoping to establish permanent residency with a green card and perhaps even to pursue the path to naturalization and citizenship. The latter is for those who are only planning a temporary visit to the United States, such as for the purpose of conducting business or attending school.

The INA sets limits on the number of people who will be permitted to immigrate to the United States each year using certain types of visas, while other visas are unlimited. Family immigration visas for the immediate relatives of U.S. citizens are available on an unlimited basis, while there are annual quotas set for the relatives of lawful permanent residents and extended family of citizens, with a maximum quota of 480,000. The number of employment immigration visas is limited to 140,000 per year.

Pathways to citizenship include service in the United States military and adoption, but a large percentage of all people who become citizens do so through the process of naturalization. The basic qualifications for naturalization include:

  • Living in the U.S. as a permanent resident for 5 years (or 3 years for a spouse of a U.S. citizen)
  • Being at least 18 years of age
  • Living within the state where you will apply for citizenship for at least 3 months prior to the application date
  • Being physically present in this country for at least half of the past 5 years
  • Maintaining continuous residence in this country from the date you submit your application for naturalization
  • Being able to read, write and speak English
  • Have a basic understanding of U.S. government and civics

It is also necessary to supply evidence that you are a person of good moral character and are attached to the principles of the U.S. Constitution. We can assist you with proving these factors, as well as preparing your petition and helping you get ready for the tests.

In June of 2012, the Obama Administration directed the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to begin applying a policy that is referred to as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). Under deferred action, DHS is exercising discretion in its execution of the laws concerning deportation and removal of immigrants who are illegally present in the United States. Deferred action is not a change to the existing law, but is instead a change in the way that the law is being applied. You may qualify for relief under DACA if you were younger than 31 years of age on June 15, 2012, came to the U.S. before your 16th birthday, have continuously resided in this country since June 15, 2007 and are either currently in school or have already graduated from high school or earned your general education development (GED) certificate, among other criteria. With deferred action, you may be able to avoid being deported, though it does not grant any change of immigration status.

In its review of immigrant visa petitions, the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) weighs factors related to the ties that the prospective immigrant has in the United States and the reasons why he or she wants or needs to come to live in this country. For example, a family immigration petition will not be approved unless the foreign national has immediate relatives such as a spouse, mother or father, child or sibling already living here as a citizen or green card holder. An employment immigration petition is more likely to receive approval if the applicant has a job offer in this country and is coming to fill a position that cannot reasonably be filled from the local labor market. A foreign national who is fleeing persecution in his or her home country may be granted an immigrant visa as a refugee or asylee.

There are many strategies for challenging a removal action. If the proposed deportation is based on a criminal conviction, it may be possible to appeal the conviction in order to have it overturned. Another option is to petition for cancellation of removal, a type of immigration relief which is available to people who are of good moral character and whose deportation would subject a family member who is a citizen or permanent resident to extreme hardship. The key to success in stopping deportation is to take immediate action by hiring a Virginia immigration attorney from our firm as soon as possible. Contact us now at Fayad Law, P.C. for a confidential consultation and to let us get started on your case!

Fayad Law, P.C. maintains offices in Richmond and Fairfax, Virginia. We work with individuals, families, and businesses across the world, providing them with assistance in resolving the legal issues involved with helping their loved ones and employees to immigrate to the United States. We work directly with foreign nationals living abroad, guiding them through the process of obtaining immigrant and nonimmigrant visas for entry to the U.S.

Real Clients, Real Testimonials

Contact Us Today


We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.

Note : All the fields Containing * are mandatory to fill.

Have questions about your rights? Ready to discuss your immigration case? Contact Fayad Law, P.C. now.

Contact us pic1
contact us pic2

Sign up for the Fayad Law, P.C. Newsletter and get monthly news
straight to your inbox!