President Biden has signed several executive orders on Immigration and has proposed to Congress a comprehensive Immigration bill, which would significantly change current Immigration Law. Contact us today and subscribe to our newsletter to stay informed!

Innovative Immigration Solutions Dedicated Counsel From Start To Finish

Parent-Immigrant Visa Attorneys in Richmond

Offering Guidance for Families in Virginia and Around the World

One of the various types of family immigration occurs when a foreign-national parent is able to obtain a green card (an immigrant visa) based on the fact that his or her son or daughter is a U.S. citizen.

What is an IR-5 Visa?

An IR-5 visa, falls into the category of Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas. This visa allows U.S. citizens to bring foreign-born parents to the United States as permanent residents. There is no annual limit on how many of these types of visas can be issued each year.

In order for a U.S. citizen to sponsor a parent using an IR-5 visa:

  • He or she must be at least 21 years of age
  • Must maintain his or her principal residence in the U.S. Permanent residents
  • Are not allowed to sponsor parents for immigrant visas

At Fayad Law, P.C., we know the importance of family and of being able to reunite with your loved ones. If you are planning to apply for a parent-immigrant visa or to sponsor a parent through this type of visa, we advise you to consult with one of our Virginia immigration attorneys. With the help of an experienced legal professional, you may be able to improve your chances of getting the visa approved or of getting the application process expedited. We are fully aware of all the paperwork that needs to be filed and all the other steps that need to be completed.

Let our immigration law firm provide you and your loved ones with the high-quality legal counsel you need!

What steps do I need to take?

When applying for permanent residence for a parent, the following steps must be carried out, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):

  • You must file Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) and supporting documentation, such as a birth certificate and the petitioner's proof of citizenship. This information must be filed with USCIS.

  • If the parent is already in the U.S., that individual can usually apply to adjust his or her status using Form I-485, which is filed together with Form I-130.

  • If you are notified that your petition was approved by USCIS, you will need to complete visa processing with your local U.S. consulate.

  • After the parent becomes a permanent resident, he or she is then authorized to work in the United States.

Do not hesitate to turn to our team at Fayad Law for help with your parent-immigration visa petition. We can assist you at one of our two U.S. office locations, which are located in Richmond and Fairfax, Virginia.

Contact Fayad Law, P.C. today so we can help you scheduled an initial consultation with one of our skilled Virginia immigration attorneys!

Client Testimonials

  • “We’ve been using Fayad Law for years.”


  • “If you have an immigration case, I highly suggest that you retain Mr. Fayad.”


  • “Great customer service”


  • “I will recommend Mr Fayad to everyone.”


  • “He is one of the best immigration lawyers of Virginia.”


  • “I was really satisfied on how my case was handled and the outcome. Keep up the good work.”


  • “We received our green card approvals today and we highly recommend Fayad Law for all your immigration needs”


  • “They assisted my company with an H1-B visa for a key employee.”


  • “I will definitely recommend lawyer Nash Fayad for complex deportation cases.”


  • “Great Law Firm!”


  • “Me & my wife had a very good experience with this firm.”

    Bbalila USA

  • “I would like to say "Thank You" to Mr. Fayad and your team for all the hard work, your expertise in immigration law is unsurpassed.”