An Experienced Immigration Attorney Answers the Most Frequently Asked Questions About Immigration


If you are an immigrant to the United States or are considering immigrating to the U.S., finding the right immigration lawyer to help you or your family can make the process much easier.

An experienced immigration attorney can help you file the correct paperwork, ensure that all fields are correct, and offer the most relevant legal advice to you and your family about immigrating to the U.S.

The immigration lawyers at Fayad Law, P.C. explain more about immigration laws and issues in the FAQ below.

What Are the Different Categories of Visas?

There are several categories of visas with different purposes. Filing for the correct visa type can help you get approval sooner. These include:

  • worker visas
  • student visas
  • investor visas
  • family, marriage, fiancé, parent, and child visas
  • other visas

Each individual visa offers entry to the U.S. on either an immigrant or nonimmigrant basis. Some visas can allow an immigrant to change their immigrant status under certain circumstances.

For example, a fiancé visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows a citizen’s or permanent resident’s fiancé to enter the country to marry. The marriage must happen within 90 days of arrival in the U.S. After proving the validity of the marriage, the visiting spouse can file for permanent residency with the Department of Homeland Security.

What Immigration Issues Do Visa Applicants Face?

Visa and Green Card applicants face several issues while applying for and maintaining their visa or permanent resident status.

The first issue is the accurate completion of the correct forms to apply for your visa. An experienced immigration attorney can help you complete your forms correctly so the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) department can’t deny your application for incomplete or incorrect information.

Additionally, all paperwork, interviews, court dates, and other procedural steps will be in English. If you aren’t fluent or need a translator, a bilingual or multilingual immigration lawyer can help you understand your next steps.

Finally, immigration laws are complicated. Only a certain number of immigrants from specific countries can get visas each year, along with restrictions on visa types awarded. This makes immigrating to the U.S. a lengthy and often complex process.

These are just some of the issues that immigrants to the U.S. face. Getting help from experienced U.S. immigration lawyers can make the process much easier for you and your family.

How Can I Update My Immigration Status?

You must file documentation with the appropriate government department if your situation changes and warrants changing your immigration status. Ask an experienced immigration lawyer about your case and which forms you need to complete.

Do I Need to Go to Immigration Court?

Immigration court is where immigration judges conduct proceedings for removal or decide on asylum claims, among other reasons.

You may receive a notice to appear (NTA) from the Department of Homeland Security. An NTA could be for a person seeking entry at a port of entry who immigration agents stopped before arriving, an immigrant who arrived early before being admitted, or an immigrant who may be eligible for deportation.

If you receive an NTA, speak with your immigration attorney immediately. If you don’t have an immigration attorney, you or a family member should search for an “immigration lawyer near me” online. Some immigration lawyers are reducing or have removed their immigration court services. Verify that your attorney will help you in the event of deportation proceedings.

You have ten days to appear after receiving your NTA. If you are detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and cannot bond out, you may wish to waive the ten-day notice requirement.

How Do I Find an Immigration Lawyer Near Me?

Many immigration lawyers based in the U.S. offer services abroad as you begin applying for a visa to enter the United States. At Fayad Law, P.C., we help families and employers manage the process of bringing loved ones or employees to the U.S. on both immigrant and nonimmigrant visas.

We have two offices in Virginia. Please contact us today if you want to move to the U.S. on a visa or know someone who does. If you are a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident with questions about sponsoring someone to come to the U.S., we can help explain the process.

Contact the Immigration Law Firm at Fayad Law, P.C.

The immigration lawyers at Fayad Law, P.C., are proud to be members of the AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association). Attorney Fayad is the secretary of the Mexico City District Chapter of the AILA and liaison or committee chair for the Rome, Mexico, and Bangkok chapters.

Our team of immigration lawyers in Richmond and Fairfax, VA, are proud to be immigrants helping immigrants in the United States. Call today at (804) 249-4747 or contact us online for multilingual legal advice from Fayad Law, P.C.

Copyright © 2022. Fayad Law, P.C. All rights reserved.

The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country, or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.


Fayad Law, P.C.
8501 Mayland Drive, Suite 101
Richmond, VA 23294
(804) 249-4747

Fayad Law, P.C.
8315 Lee Highway Suite 620,
Fairfax, VA 22031
(703) 998-5390